What's a Migraine?
Migraines are a neurological disease with incapacitating neurological, or nerve, symptoms. Typically, it's a severe throbbing pain, commonly on one side of the head. In about 1/3 of attacks, both sides of the head are affected.
Typical symptoms include the following:
sensitivity to sound, light, touch & smell
tingling or numbness in the extremities or face
According to Migraine Research Foundation, 39 Million people in the USA suffer from Migraines. Interestingly enough, 28 Million of that total are women. Worldwide, its estimated that upwards of 1 BILLION people are affected with Migraines. Even with such a high prevalence, the condition itself
is still "poorly understood."
The source of the Migraine
Relevant to our focus here at Keystone Chiropractic LKN, Migraines are a secondary condition to an Atlas Displacement Complex (click it!).
Below, we've highlighted a fantastic research study that treated patients with an Atlas Displacement using specific Upper Cervical Chiropractic techniques.
How YOU Can Help
A component of our comprehensive, concierge approach here at
Keystone Chiropractic LKN is partnering and empowering our patients to take control of their own health. Our belief is that everyone needs a little bit of help in the beginning, but once the momentum is built, the baton is handed over to YOU!
1. Keep a Journal - this tends to be one of the MOST effective strategies overall. There's a lot of information that gets lost in the daily bustle of life, so taking the time to think about the day can reveal potential Migraine Triggers.
2. Mind Your Triggers - Research has shown that Migraines, for some folks, can be triggered or worsened by lifestyle and/or dietary habits. It would be best to identify these and ... stop doing them! Sometimes, it can be as easy as that.
3. MOVE - Movement is life. Our spines and bodies were designed to move and designed to THRIVE. Take 15-30 minutes every day and dedicate it to movement. Now, there is no need to get a gym membership just yet. We want to have some achievable goals first. Everything can be done in the comfort of your home. Push-ups, air squats, wall sits, walking up your stairs ... play with your kids! Just move.
4. Take MircroBreaks - Most of us spend a lot of time looking at screens. It's just a part of life at this point. This intense focus has shown to irritate the eyes, the eye muscles, and even the nerves that power and move the eyes. Our eyes need a break from time to time! Use the 20-20-20 Strategy: Every 20 minutes, take 20 seconds, and look 20 feet away. Not too difficult, right?
5. Put it all Together - Put these strategies together to spring into action. YOU have to have the desire and drive to WANT to get better. Research and clinical practice has CLEARLY shown that you must take an active role in your health. It's not an option, it's a requirement. Without action, change cannot occur.
Ok. Now it's time to make a change.
Use these 5 Recommendations immediately and take control!